пятница, 14 сентября 2012 г.

CAPTURING THE MOMENT; WEST GENESEE STUDENT PLACES FIRST IN WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST.(Neighbors)(Column) - The Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY)

Byline: Editorial assistant Nariman Jiries

Editorial assistant Nariman Jiries interviewed Nico Rinaldo, who was first place in the native wildlife category at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge Nature and Wildlife Photography contest in Plum Island, Mass. His photo was Plum Island Egret.

Name: Nico V. Rinaldo, 16, lives in Camillus and is a junior at West Genesee High School.

Tell me about your family: My father is an electrician for the New York State Thruway Authority, and my mother is a customer service representative for AXA Equitable in Syracuse.

How did you feel when you came in first place? It felt great to win the photo contest I entered in Plum Island, Mass. I entered the native wildlife category during the summer, and it was the first contest I entered since becoming a photographer.

What is it about photography you enjoy the most? I believe the part of photography that I enjoy the most is that I am able to capture any moment that I choose and turn it into a memory that lasts forever.

When did you become interested in photography? I became interested in photography last year after my mother purchased a pocket camera for me so I could photograph other snowboarders while I was snowboarding on the mountain at the Toggenburg Ski Resort. Since then, I have been taking pictures everyday.

What kind of things do you take pictures of? I photograph just about anything that interests me including people, animals, landscape and extreme sports including snowboarding and skateboarding. Anyone can see my photos at flickr.com/photos/nrboarder, where I have a photostream available.

What did your family/friends say to you about winning? My family and friends were all very proud of me and very impressed. They thought it was awesome that I won first place after entering my very first photo contest.

Do you have any other hobbies? I do have other hobbies, which includes skateboarding and snowboarding, as well as playing the guitar.

Do you play any sports? I am pole vaulting for the West Genesee track and field team. In the past I have played football on their JV team.

What type of music do you listen to? I listen to every kind of music with the exception of country music.

What is your favorite subject in school and why? I would have to say that my favorite subject in school, outside of my photography class, is chemistry because it is very interesting and I enjoy science.

What other activities are you involved in? I am a member of the Toggenburg freestyle snowboarding team at Toggenburg Mountain, and I am a member of the Boy Scouts of America Elbridge Troop 52, where I recently attained the rank of Eagle Scout. I am also a cellist in the West Genesee Symphony.

What are your college plans? Right now I would like to attend a college where I can take a double major in photography and music, and I would especially like to get my master's in photography.

What type of career would you like to have when you get older? Right now, I know I will be pursuing a career in the photography field. Having a master's would give me many avenues, including teaching.

Is there a person you admire most? Yoon Sul, a famous professional skateboarding photographer.

What other things would you like to do in your lifetime? I know some other things I would like to do in my lifetime are to visit the West Coast, skydive and snowboard the big mountains in Colorado, California and Oregon.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you want it to be? If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be Colorado, next to the ski resorts where I could snowboard as well as photograph some of the most beautiful countries in the world.

What do you hope for yourself in the future? I hope I can become a well-known and successful photographer and to live a long, healthy and happy life.

CAPTION(S):

PHOTO

Frank Ordonez/The Post-Standard

NICO RINALDO holds his laptop that displays the picture he took which won first place in the National Wildlife Refuge Nature and Wildlife Photography contest in Plum Island.