среда, 19 сентября 2012 г.

In the spotlight.(Sports) - Albany Times Union (Albany, NY)

Senior Nate Gagnon of Wilton (South Glens Falls High) is a two-sport standout at the State University of New York College at Cortland. A transfer from the University of Maine, the 6-foot, 205-pounder, plays baseball in the spring (he hit .285 with five home runs and 25 RBI last year as a junior) and hockey in the winter. He had two assists in a 7-3 loss to the State University College at Fredonia last Saturday night to become the eighth player in Cortland history to better 100 points for his career. He has 44 goals and 57 assists.

You started out at the University of Maine. What made you switch to Cortland and are you happy with your decision?

It's one thing to say that you fulfilled a dream by playing hockey at a big-time Division I school like Maine, but you also have to be able to realize that it might not be the place for you. I would have been more of a role player at Maine, which is fine for some individuals. However, I also realized how much I missed baseball. I was unable to play both sports at Maine due to the length of the hockey season so I considered my options and picked Cortland, more so for the fact that their baseball team is a national contender each year. As for my decision, I am extremely happy where I am now and I wouldn't change a thing.

You play both hockey and baseball in college. What is your favorite sport?

This is the question that I get asked on a daily basis and all I can tell people is that whatever sport I am currently participating in at the time is my favorite. As hockey season is coming to a close I get excited for baseball and when baseball is coming to a close I get excited for hockey again. It's a constant cycle that I really enjoy.

Getting in shape for both sports must be different. What do you do to prepare for baseball? Hockey?

The only time that I run into trouble is during the summer when I play baseball but have to prepare for the start of the hockey season. Hockey focuses on the lower body, such as building up your legs, while baseball focuses more on all around training with less amount of weight being lifted. I also try and lose about ten pounds from the end of the hockey season to the beginning of the baseball season, which is only a few weeks, because I like being heavier for hockey because of the physical play. But that's more of a challenge that I put on myself rather than looking at it as a hassle.

You've been successful in both sports. Did you set any goals coming into your final season?

You always have personal goals in anything thing you do, but it's better to remain focused on team goals. I have had the pleasure of being surrounded by good players in both sports here at Cortland and that has certainly helped me achieve personal success. As for my last year here, I want to continue to improve from my junior year and then I can look back at my career and see where I stand. I'm approaching some career scoring records in hockey right now and I'm in the top ten of multiple baseball records.

Did going to South Glens Falls High prepare you for life in college?

It sure did. We were one of the few high schools that I knew of that required student-athletes to hold a certain GPA in order to participate in sports. The same expectations hold true here at college which was an adjustment that I didn't have to make, unlike some of my teammates.

Do you have any thoughts about playing pro baseball or pro hockey?

Yes. As of right now I would say I have a better shot in hockey. Baseball is a sport that develops young players in their farm systems, some as young as 18, which would work against me since I am already 24. Hockey,on the other hand. is a sport in which it is almost better to be older and physically mature entering the pros. There are numerous professional leagues across the country, not to mention a pro team not to far from my house in Glens Falls.

What is your major? After your playing days, what do you hope to turn to down the road?

I am studying Sport Management. As for when I'm done playing, I would like to work for a professional team, in any sport, in their marketing department. I like the idea of promoting players and the organization in which they play for to the public and potential fans.

- Bill Arsenault

Special to the Times Union

CAPTION(S):

DARL ZEHR PHOTOGRAPHY NATE GAGNON believes you always have personal goals in anything thing you do, but it's better to remain focused on team goals. Gagnon plays both hockey and baseball for the State University of New York College at Cortland.