среда, 19 сентября 2012 г.

WHIT BAZEMORE'S RIDE ON EDGE PUTS HIM NEAR TOP OF SPORT - The Buffalo News (Buffalo, NY)

'When you are driving them, you are barely in control. You areon the edge all the time, and that's exciting.'

That's the way Whit Bazemore, a top Nitro Funny Car competitor,describes his sport.

Bazemore, who competes in both the International Hot RodAssociation (IHRA) and the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA),will be at New York International Raceway Park in Leicester thisweekend for the IHRA's NAPA Auto Parts Empire Nationals.

'I loved racing cars since day one,' said the 29-year-olddriver. 'I actually was born in New York City and moved with myfamily to Greenville, N.C., when I was 4. My dad took me then toRoad Atlanta to watch the races. I was hooked and it was in myblood.'

But it was photography that let Bazemore make his initial markin the business world and opened the door to his drag racing career.

'When I was in 11th grade, the R.J. Reynolds Corp. hired me togo out to Pomona, Calif., and shoot the NHRA Winternationals.Imagine now being in high school and being flown to California tophotograph for a huge corporation.'

Bazemore's photography career took off and in his early 20s hehad a successful photography business shooting for top magazinesand company ad campaigns.

'I was making a comfortable and decent living and as I expandedI lost track of racing for awhile.'

Yet the urge to race lurked inside of Bazemore.

'I had a desire to drive, but people who knew me said theythought I couldn't do it,' he recalled.

But after some Barber Formula Ford Sports Car racing, Bazemorewent to the Frank Hawley School of Drag Racing in 1985 at age 23.Later he started racing Alcohol Funny Cars.

'Through my photography, I had met the people in drag racingwho make things happen,' said Bazemore. 'I had to do muchfancy-talking and got a small sponsorship for my Alcohol Funny Car.'

In 1988, he started racing Nitro Funny Cars for Gary Evans(still Bazemore's crew chief) and in late 1989 they formedBazemore-Evans Racing.

'The first race that Gary and I ever went to, the 1988 IHRAWorld Finals in Norwalk, Ohio, we had $30 and a credit card.'

A Nitro Funny car features an enclosed fiberglass body, a4,000-horsepower, 500 cubic-inch engine and burns nitromethane, at12 gallons per run, that is often 90 percent nitro.

'We hit speeds on the quarter-mile strip of over 270 mph in alittle over five seconds if things are right.'

Things have gone right for Bazemore recently. He made an IHRAfinal at the Spring Nationals in Bristol, Tenn., and the final ofthe NHRA Mid-South Nationals in Memphis, Tenn. Bazemore is secondin IHRA and sixth in NHRA national event points.

'Our recent success at getting to some final rounds has reallymade the team and I feel good. Just to get to the final is a realaccomplishment. Now I hope we can win our first national event andLeicester, this weekend, would be just fine with me.'